Modeling & Detailing
Structural Steel – Commercial
Commercial Construction – From World-class Stadiums to Pioneering Highrises
DBM Vircon brings 55 years of expertise in construction modeling and detailing to complex structures. In that time, we have excelled as Building Information Modeling (BIM) industry leaders who have become known for changing and improving the future of building.
We go beyond traditional detailing to deliver full lifecycle solutions, from innovative concepts to a build-ready plan and asset management by leveraging our expertise with the latest 3D BIM technologies.
We have highly experienced teams that specialize in:
- Integrated design/detailing: Our proactive early engagement approach drives the project unlike customary “production detailing”.
- Collaborative process with design teams: Our project managers can work alongside your design team to help make decisions at a time that will have the greatest impact on cost and schedule.
- Modeling software innovation and integration: We have customized and developed proprietary workflows for Tekla, Navisworks, Rhino and other design and detailing software.
- Model, data and deliverable management: We build deliverables that bring project value beyond standard shop drawings.
Commercial Structural Steel Modeling & Detailing – Design to Construction
SOPHISTICATED 3D MODELING SYSTEMS & 2D DRAWING PRODUCTION
Integrating data from all design disciplines and streamlining team communication resolves poor design documentation and reduces final clash checks, so fabricators deliver accurate steelwork.
SCHEDULE AND COST CERTAINTY
When eradication of rework, duplication and delays is combined with reduced design errors, scheduling certainty and slashed timeframes, costs are reduced and contractor quotes are accurate.
MODEL GENERATED DELIVERABLES
An integrated structural steelwork detailing model improves efficiencies across the project lifecycle through parallel workflows and reduced duplication, slashing your project’s timeframe by up to 12%.
With data-rich and exceptionally precise models, fabrication and erection is never delayed by unforeseen rework or material delays. You can rest assured your project will be delivered on-time.
FULL DIGITAL ENGINEERING (BIM) CAPABILITY
Significant error and risk can occur during construction. Millimetre perfect structural steel detailing and modeling ensures minimal rework, reduces hours on-site, and helps address safety concerns.
CUSTOMIZED PROJECT REPORTING
Lean and repeatable designs consider operational issues as well as construction requirements to reduce waste and site clearances, deliver more efficient design, and assist in community engagement.
Commercial Structural Steel Modeling & Detailing – Delivery
DBM Vircon’s Approach
DBM Vircon did not become the world’s most innovative and effective structural modeling company by simply becoming the largest. An integrated approach working early and alongside our design and construction partners can make an architectural statement structure a reality or facilitate a schedule to build a 70,000-ton highrise in record time. Process, proprietary technology and our experienced team give our clients the confidence to trust us with their most challenging projects.
Working primarily in Tekla, along with other advanced software and technology solutions, our team of steel experts transform information received from our clients and designers into 3D visual detailed models, shop drawings and usable data. This enhanced delivery reduces human error and minimizes communication breakdowns typically found in a traditional 2D environment. Our expertise along with this process will provide assurance that the completed models will produce reliable and accurate output data files and deliverables, that meet or exceed industry standards.
DBM Vircon has developed customized systems to efficiently manage large volumes of data allowing for better management, control, reporting and quality.
- All projects are managed and delivered through a proprietary Job Management System (JMS), specifically designed to manage models, drawings, data and documentation.
- Our processes and systems to control, coordinate and produce deliverables have been comprehensively tested.
- DBM Vircon’s common modeling platform links all offices to support complex scope areas. All information including RFIs are linked to the steel that they affect and can be reviewed by anyone of our global offices.
- Custom Tekla setups are built to effectively meet the needs of our customers and our robust QA/QC processes.
Our Deliverables: Far Beyond Just 2D Shop Drawings
Intelligent & Data-centric 3D Modeling
- Intelligent and data-centric 3D models used for all advance bill of material, custom reports, 2D shop drawing and CNC file data extraction
- Increases accuracy and ability to find planning efficiencies through detailed material tracking from ordering to fabrication to transporting through to erection
- Multi-discipline 3D model coordination with other construction services with fully integrated clash detection capability
- Interactive development that streamlines the process by checking fit ups and resolves design discrepancies/intent before final phase of the geometry process
- Ability to efficiently track specific data (i.e. welds data) for high security projects
- Our proprietary change management system and tools help streamline changes and reduces response time throughout the project’s lifecycle
- Ability to streamline reporting by color coded progress updates via access to the model or receive visual productivity reporting
- Ability to review and accept members in the model through our proprietary in-model approval process before creating shop drawings to save time, cost and minimize communication breakdowns
- Experience downstream savings with ease of exporting model files like CNC, DXF, DWG, STEP and 3D IFC files per our clients’ request
High Quality and Accurate 2D Fabrication Shop Drawings and Project Documentation
- Flexibility within our systems to tailor 2D shop drawing deliverables to suit various client standards, procedures and requirements
- Customizable drawings layouts, templates and bill of materials to suit project specifications
- Detailed erection, bunking/blocking, trial assembly drawings, bill of materials, web/flange plate cutting sheets and data
- Complex assembly and component fabrication drawings for all main and secondary substructures
- Blank or Weldment drawings
- Weld call outs, quantities, reports and unique weld numbering for traceability
- DXF, scribing and etching outputs
- Field and Shop bolt drawings and summaries
- Unique wrap around drawings details or diagrams for complex cutting of HSS, TUBE and PIPE shapes
- Layout and survey control monitor drawings and data output
- Center of Gravity and Isometric drawings for complex steel members and assemblies
We believe a traditional construction model creates silos, fractures knowledge sharing and drives inefficiencies. By leveraging our proprietary technology, project stakeholders can make better informed decisions during the design, pre-construction planning and execution phases.
DBM Vircon has proven the value of providing construction modeling and traditional detailing of shop drawings during the design process and prior to steel procurement, for projects across the globe.
Working together with prominent design and construction firms, we have refined the workflows and processes to deliver superior outcomes. This is accomplished by leveraging intellectual data that helps inform decisions to optimize construction while also reducing health, safety and environmental risks.
Our advanced processes and models enable:
- Early creation of the detailed model facilitating its wider use for BIM and Virtual Construction
- Early finalization and lockdown of the engineering design which can help to compress the construction schedule
- Early detection of design, engineering and constructibility issues to minimize RFIs and fabrication holds
- Transparency and efficiency in procuring fabrication
- Less overall work and minimal re-work, while reducing hours spent on site
By utilizing these processes, our clients realize benefits beyond traditional detailing work, but most importantly, cost and schedule certainty.
Designers and builders can utilize our collaborative methods during the design development to assist in delivering the following:
- Geometry consulting/analysis models
- Erection schemes
- Iterative model mock-ups/concept models
- Accessibility/Constructibility reviews of complex components
- Production of LOD 400 extraction ready connected-model
Additional Capabilities and Service Offerings:
DBM Vircon Projects
Ian Belton, Managing Director, Simply Stainless
Jeremy Duckett, Project Manager, Veritas Steel
Ray Clarke, Engineering Manager, Owen Steel Company
Stephen Farran – Pluto LNG Project, WorleyParsons Resources & Energy
Chris Kleban, Skanska
Terry Flynn, Vice President Engineering, Tutor Perini Corporation
Simon Lukan, Monadelphous
Christopher Carey, Senior Project Manager, Schuff Steel Company
Jason Bruce, Cives Steel Company
Sean S. Boynton, Cives Steel Company
RGP4 Newman Hub Project Team, BHP BILLITON
Steven Trenouth, Pluto LNG Project
Stephen Farran – Pluto LNG Project, WorleyParsons Resources & Energy