Integrated Design Process
Integrated Design Process for Cost and Schedule Certainty
“IDP is the coordinated and planned acceleration of a project by the deliberate removal of unnecessary design and shop detailing duplication, with real time sharing of project information, in a powerful graphical environment, this approach allows for proactive involvement by all members of the project team”
The DBM Vircon delivery strategy for engineering, detail design and fabrication, aims to minimize critical path activities by streamlining project communications between engineers, designers and shop detail modelers.
Our aim is to fast track the transition from conceptual design to fabrication level modeling. This typically involves early design assist involvement from our experienced shop detail / design modelers embedded into the engineering team. The intent is to develop greater definition of the models during this design assist period, which aims to minimize later schedule durations for traditional shop detailing activities.
Efficient End-to-End Project 3D Model Management
Greater Schedule Certainty
With a more accurate design completed at an earlier stage, schedule certainty is vastly improved and fabrication commences earlier. Our methodology typically saves clients at least two to three months.
Greater Cost Certainty
A more complete design enables project bids to come in at much lower range, because quotes are accurate. This gives the owner and builder the confidence to move ahead with an accurate price.
Early Detection of Constructibility Issues
Early detection of design and engineering issues and enables fabricators to deliver highly accurate steelwork, minimising RFIs, fabrication holds and expensive construction delays.
With millimetre perfect, highly intelligent models, there is less fabrication work overall and minimal re-work, which reduces the total man-hours spent on-site and slashes project budgets.
Reduction of 2D Engineering Drawings
DBM Vircon can import engineering drawings into the construction model, eliminating some of the engineering documentation and ensuring both engineering and fabrication drawings align perfectly.
Streamlined Project Management
With all teams collaborating via one design model, critical project issues can be effortlessly identified throughout your project, with necessary changes to the construction schedule managed with ease.
Millimetre perfect models that are free from constructibility issues and clashes enable all contractors to accurately quote on and procure materials (without overruns), reducing waste and delivery delays.
Enhanced BIM Applications
Early creation of a detailed project model facilitates its wider use for applications such as BIM and virtual construction, which improve ongoing asset management and project delivery.
Proven Intelligent Model Management
Our team provides a new perspective during the design process. Some of our largest industrial and commercial projects may have several hundred highly detailed 3D models of varying complexity and scope. To manage the sheer quantity of model geometry and data requirements, we harness our extensive 3D modeling and data driven systems to co-ordinate and manage project requirements for a myriad of stakeholders.
3D Models that are effective and usable by the design and construction teams:
- Our vast experience on large, complex projects around the world gives you and your subcontractors the confidence and peace of mind, that our models are developed sufficiently to fully define the design intent and accurately represent the design solution. The level of accuracy and data rich nature of our models allows for the developed design to flow seamlessly into manufacturing and construction.
Our uniquely effective and expertly refined workflow that:
- Has delivered numerous large projects on behalf of prominent global companies across all sectors
- Can compresses both design and construction schedules
- Drives our projects using lean principles around quality and the reduction of waste
- Mitigates risk
Our integrated design process that delivers a myriad of benefits for:
- Early detection of design and engineering issues
- Minimization of RFIs, holds and design changes
- Reduction of engineering documentation
- Advance material billing for fabrication procurement
Early engagement that delivers a collaborative, efficient design process, virtually eliminating the tedious RFl process:
- Engagement with the engineering team at the right time is critical to minimizing wasted effort. Ideally, we would engage with the engineering team at around 15% engineering complete. Then work through a series of gates for model development and design reviews taking the model through to 100% engineered with detail design complete and ready for shop detailing and fabrication.
Early availability of project deliverables allow more accurate fabrication and construction budgeting through:
- The development of preferred preconstruction and construction methodology and workflows
- The ability to lock in steel prices and equipment selection as early as possible, expediting procurement