The Mt Webber Iron Ore mine is part of the Atlas Iron Horizon 1 Growth Program. Expanding its North Pilbara development model to produce 15Mtpa by 2015. BGC are constructing and operating a crushing and screening plant at the mine. The brownfield stage 1 project was developed to 3Mtpa, with expansion plans for Stage 2 to 6Mtpa. The project initially used conventional truck haulage and, Atlas are targeting first haulage in April of 2014.
Atlas Iron Mt Webber Phase 1 Project Details:
This project was an IPD and multi-discipline project with a very aggressive schedule that required close collaboration and communication with all stakeholders.
iConstruct was used extensively to manage design reviews including HAZOPS, tight schedules (4D) and cost analysis including value engineering. It also enabled project team members to view the model as it matured and during project reviews with the client.
DBM Vircon supplied technical and engineering site support as well as providing site personnel to manage the latest model and provide clarifications during construction and commissioning activities.
At commencement of Phase 2, a project wide lessons learned session from Phase 1 was used to capture improvements for the Second Phase. A value engineering exercise was also completed to add value to the schedule and project costs in Phase 2.
DBM Vircon’s Scope of Work:
DBM Vircon’s scope consisted of an integrated project delivery of engineering disciplines, 3D modelling and detailing. The brief was to produce the engineering design and detailing services for the overall site including Structural Certification of conveyors and other equipment.
- Overall Site layout;
- Civil engineering for all concrete included in the crushing and screening buildings and conveyor trestle foundations;
- Structural engineering design certification;
- Mechanical design of Conveyors and Hoppers;
- Modelling of new and used equipment;
- Shop detail drawings for fabrication utilising Australian or Chinese steel as required;
- In-house project management;
- iConstruct data.
Atlas Iron Mt Webber Phase 1 Highlights & Challenges:
- The complexity of this project was enhanced by the client request to use 14 recycled conveyors out of a total of 16. This required a high level of expertise and experience as the recycled conveyor design had used a mixture of design codes, American and Australian, with previously different work configuration and drive positions and they had previously conveyed different types of material. Multiple conveyors and equipment were also damaged during the decommissioning and delivery to the new site.
- Existing structures were modelled using “as built” drawings provided by client and incorporated into the overall project model. Extensive modifications to these existing structures was later required as many of the structures were not built to the original drawings.
- The majority of fabrication was completed in China and DBM Vircon worked with the fabricator to produce shop detail drawings that where suitable for logistics, constructability and surface treatment requirements.
- Weekly client reviews of the Navisworks model aided with communication, tight schedule and the procurement and construction strategies.
- 16 conveyors, 14 recycled;
- 34 pieces of equipment in total;
- Over 350 phases;
- Over 100 3D models;
- 260 Tonnes of steel issued;
- Over 3,000 fitting drawings;
- Over 1,400 detail drawings;
- 24 Complete Navisworks/iConstruct models issued;
- Over 500 transmittals issued;
- 73 Variations issued;
- 32 Resources at peak.