Spanning the Genessee River in New York, this new bridge is a 483-foot arch with three, 80-foot girder spans on either end for a total length of 963 feet. The single track bridge has a ballast-filled concrete deck, and sits 235 feet above the rushing water below.
DBM Vircon’s Scope of Work:
- Provided structural steel modeling and detailing services for the Portageville Railway Arch in Letchworth State Park in New York
- The Norfolk Southern railway bridge has a single track and replaces the existing bridge built in 1875
- 483-foot arch span with three 80-foot approach spans
- It stands more than 235-feet above the Genesee River
- Now allows industry standard 286,000-lb cars, up from the current 273,000-pound limit
- Trains can also move across the bridge at 30 mph, up from 10 mph on the old span
Portageville Arch Railway Bridge Project Highlights & Challenges:
- This bridge was modeled and detailed with minimal RFI’s due to detailed design drawings by bridge engineering firm Modjeski and Masters.
Project Awards & Commendations:
- Winner of the NSBA Prize Bridge Awards 2020 for the major span category
- “Modjeski & Masters told Jon (with American Bridge) that they were very impressed & pleased with the quality of the shop drawings”